City of Bones - Derry
Halloween was borne out of the old Irish pagan festival of the Samhain, a night for departed souls to return and nowhere in Ireland celebrates this greater than the city of Derry (City of Bones!). As the world’s number one Halloween destination, Derry hosts the largest Halloween street carnival and costume party in Europe. A week long programme sees the historic city walls truly awakened in an atmospheric supernatural animation trail with light, fire, sculpture, music and performance which will leave you spellbound. You don’t have to be a child to join in! Saying that, Halloween is a great time to get families aboard with school holidays almost guaranteed. The city’s theatres host unique interactive theatre, storytelling, music and film.
During this time, look out for the traditional Irish Halloween fruit bread called Barm Brack. Whoever finds the hidden ring is said to have a wedding/romance looming that year!
• 3 nights B&B Radisson Blu Letterkenny
• Return ferry crossing from the UK
• Free Halloween street festival
• Guided walk of the city’s walls
• Visit to the Granian of Aileach Visitor Centre - with optional free site visit to the pagan ring fort