Hidden Wonders Of France
Discover France’s hidden central southern uplands in a real adventure that will excite and delight throughout your stay. An area of stunning natural sites, beautifully preserved cities and towns, fabulous authentic food as you remember the authentic France. On this trip you will visit spectacular gorges, see amazing viaducts and bridges, the world’ s most beautiful show cave, wild upland scenery, crafts, cheesemakers, the most scenic towns in France and not to mention a wonderful personalised welcome with local food and entertainment in your hotel.
- 5 nights Half Board in 3* accommodation
- Return ferry/Eurotunnel crossing from the UK (Eurotunnel at supplement)
- Welcome drink
- Personalised welcome by the hotel manager
- Friendship Drink’ on arrival and departure along with local canapés
- Extended cold buffet breakfast of local produce
- 4 course regional speciality menus for evening meal including a cheese course & desert buffet
- Tea / coffee, 1 glass of wine & water with dinner
- Accordion evening
- Folklore entertainment evening with unlimited wine by carafe for dinner
- Local English speaking guide for 1 day
- Free visit to the famous hand made Laguiole French Knife Makers
- Free visit to the Jeune Montagne local cheese-makers
- Visit to the Aven Armand Show Caves
- Visit to Roquefort Cooperative Cheesemakers
- Stop at “La Couvertoirade” the best preserved of all medieval Knights Templar Fortresses
NB: Overnight hotels not included in ‘from’ pricing indicated on page.
3* Relais Laguiole Laguiole (or similar)
• Lift • Bar • Tea/Coffee facilities
• Leisure facilities • Coach parking
• Large indoor pool and jacuzzi
Day 1: Departure to Folkestone for your Ferry or Eurotunnel crossing to Calais. Continue this afternoon south, past Paris and onwards to Orléans on the Loire Valley for your overnight hotel stop. Dinner and overnight.
Day 2: Departure south into the centre of France, in the wild Lozère uplands where you will get a personalised welcome and friendship drink with local canapes by the hotel manager. Get settled in and relax before dinner and overnight.
Day 3: Depart this morning towards the Tarn Gorge, one of France’s most dramatic canyons,which we cross on the way to the Aven Armand Show Cave. Accessed by underground funicular railway, the beauty, complexity and scale of the forest of stalactites and stalagmites in the huge cave chamber are truly breathtaking! We then head back to the Tarn Gorge and stop in the charming stone village of Sainte Enemie before a dramatic gorge drive past La Malene and Les Vignes before returning to your hotel. Dinner and overnight.
Day 4: Depart south by motorway in the direction of Millau stopping at the motorway viewing stop and information centre for the Millau Motorway Bridge, one of the highest and most impressive road bridges in the world. Continue to the little hill town of Roquefort-sur-Soulzon for a visit to the Cheese Co-operative. Here take a tour and tasting of the world famous Roquefort Blue Cheese. Afternoon visit to La Couvertoirade, the best preserved of all medieval Knights Templar Fortress settlements, this perfectly preserved stone village is classified as one of the most beautiful in France.
Day 5: Visit to the historic city of Rodez with its magnificent cathedral and narrow stone streets with time free for lunch and browsing. Stops directly en route out and back are the scenic little medieval heritage town of Espalion overlooking the river Lot and the amazing Bouzouls natural Cirque of cliffs with a village built on top of the cliff and also on a narrow promentary facing the cliff. End of afternoon to relax in Laguiole (1 hour drive each way Laguiole to Rodez. Espalion and Bouzouls are both directly on the route)
Day 6: Morning in the surroundings of Laguiole with your local day guide visiting the Laguiole Knife Makers, Jeune Montagne Cheese Makers and Grenier du Capou Museum of Hand Tools, before an afternoon tour around the wild Aubrac uplands to the town of Aubrac with optional charge locally to visit a wine producer or castle.
Day 7: Departure this morning north past the Loire Valley and Paris for an overnight stop just north of the French capital. Dinner and overnight.
Day 8: Departure towards Calais for your Ferry / Eurotunnel back home.