In its entirety, The Danube touches on ten different countries - more than any other river in the world. In length it spans 4000km meaning your river cruise break can be a lengthily one if you so choose, the variance of culture, scenery and wildlife attracted to this special region of Europe is simply breathtaking. Discover Imperial palaces and sip the fruits of the land at its local wineries.
Rising in the Black Forest, the river goes ‘back to black’ as it makes its way to the Black Sea in Romania. On route five diverse capital cities lay waiting to be discovered including Vienna, Budapest, Bratislava, Belgrade and Bucharest. An air of classical music finds its way onto many river cruise itineraries in these parts owing to it being the celebrated homelands of classical composers Strauss; Mozart; Haydn and Schubert.
The highly scenic stretch of river between Krems and Melk reveals Austria’s Wachau Valley, a UNESCO World Heritage Site with steadfast fortresses on nearly every bend, surrounded by a rich and lush wine producing landscape. Another highlight further along is the Iron Gate Gorge, where the Danube rips through the Carpathian Mountains.
This river plays as the last link in an important trade transportation route linking Rotterdam to the Black Sea, its river basin is also the most bio-diverse region in Europe. The stunning Danube Delta, where the river ends is a sanctuary for wildlife, a superb safari opportunity, its natural beauty is teeming with life.
Itineraries can vary depending on the duration of the cruise and the river cruise supplier. The from price is based on the itinerary mentioned below.
- Full Board service (breakfast, lunch and dinner) each day
- Welcome Drinks Reception on arrival
- Gala Dinner on one night of your river cruise
- Evening entertainment with some daytime entertainment
- Some river cruises will also offer complimentary use of the bikes onboard.
Delights of the Danube
- Day 1 Linz Welcome Dinner
- Day 2 Linz / Vienna Evening arrival in Vienna
- Day 3 Vienna Classic Vienna
- Day 4 Budapest Budapest ‘spa city’
- Day 5 Bratislava / Durnstein Red tiled rooftops of Bratislava
- Day 6 Durnstein / Melk Wachau Valley
- Day 7 Melk / Linz Melk: Hilltop 11th Century Abbey
- Day 8 Budapest Farewell